Birmingham City ‘plotting move’ for Derby County midfielder Jason Knight

Here’s the latest Birmingham City transfer news

<p>Birmingham City are thought to be interested in signing Derby County midfielder Jason Knight after already snapping up his former teammate Kyrstian Bielik last week. The 21-year-old's contract will expire next summer. (Football Insider)</p>

Birmingham City are thought to be interested in signing Derby County midfielder Jason Knight after already snapping up his former teammate Kyrstian Bielik last week. The 21-year-old's contract will expire next summer. (Football Insider)

Birmingham City are reportedly aiming to sign Derby County midfielder Jason Knight this summer.

That’s according to Football Insider, which claims that Blues are plotting a move to sign the 21-year-old. The report states that John Eustace is understood to be a big fan of the Irishman and is keen to bring him to St Andrew’s to bolster his midfield options.

Knight was a key player for the Rams under Wayne Rooney last season, making 39 appearances in all competitions for the club, and he played the full 90 minutes for Derby during their 1-0 win over Oxford United on Saturday (30 July).

Birmingham City are thought to be interested in signing Derby County midfielder Jason Knight after already snapping up his former teammate Kyrstian Bielik last week. The 21-year-old's contract will expire next summer. (Football Insider)

Takeover latest

Meanwhile, Blues’ takeover is reportedly being held up as the club is failing to provide the English Football League with information about the current ownership structure.

Blues are on the brink of a takeover by a consortium led by the former Argentina striker Maxi Lopez and local businessman Paul Richardson. Richardson was at St Andrew’s last Tuesday morning (19 July), and he confirmed to the media that contracts over a deal have been exchanged and a deposit has been paid.

But speaking to talkSPORT on Wednesday (29 July) via The Athletic, the EFL’s chief executive Trevor Birch said: “We haven’t had the comprehensive information that is needed to even consider it.” The Athletic states that Richardson and Lopez have ‘submitted as much information as they can at this stage’, and they are reportedly working on a detailed business plan. The club’s current owners Birmingham Sports Holdings Ltd have reportedly not provided full answers to the league’s standard takeover questions.

What have Richardson and Lopez said about their plans for the club?

In an interview with talkSPORT last week, Richardson discussed his hopes for the upcoming season. When asked if the consortium will have the money to back City in the transfer windiw, Richardson said: “Yeah, we wouldn’t be moving into it without having finace in place, it’s a combination of our own money and finance. The idea is to get the foundations into this club, and get the team playing football, and get the fans back in.”

When asked when the club could challenge to get back into the top division, Richardson admitted it could take some time.

He said: “It might take us a while, the idea is to get the foundations in, get the youth back in the team - there are some really good youth players in here, as you’ve already seen. Thinking about the Premier League is too early at this stage, but we have got ambition, but we want to put our feet on the ground first.”

A message from the editor:

Thank you for reading. BirminghamWorld is Birmingham’s latest news website, championing everything that is great about our city - reporting on news, lifestyle and sport. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook,Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going.