Team England para athletics star Nathan Maguire with members of Birchfield Harriers at the Alexander Stadium, which will host the athletics competition at the Games (Photo by Bryn Lennon/Getty Images)
Thousands of top-level athletes will travel to Birmingham next year to take part in the Commonwealth Games 2022.
It is the biggest event that the Birmingham has ever hosted and the biggest international event held in the UK in the last decade.
And excitement is growing as a major step towards the Commonwealth Games 2022 is taken as The Queen’s Baton Relay gets underway at Buckingham Palace on October 7.
A total of 286 sessions will be held across 19 different sports over 11 days of competition, where millions from across the world will watch the events at venues in and around the city when the event gets underway next year.
What are the venues being used for the Games?
The venues for the Games will be based in Birmingham, Coventry, Royal Leamington Spa, Sandwell, Warwick, Wolverhampton and outside of the Midlands, Lee Valley VelloPArk in London - see the full list below.
- ALEXANDER STADIUM - Athletics and Para Athletics
- ARENA BIRMINGHAM - Artistic and Rhythmic Gymnastics
- CANNOCK CHASE FOREST - Mountain Biking
- COVENTRY STADIUM & ARENA - Rugby Sevens, Judo and Wrestling
- EDGBASTON STADIUM - Cricket T20
- LEE VALLEY VELOPARK - Cycling (Track)
- THE NEC - Badminton, Boxing, Table Tennis and Para Table Tennis, Weightlifting, Netball and Para Powerlifting
- SANDWELL AQUATICS CENTRE - Diving, Swimming and Para Swimming
- SMITHFIELD - Basketball 3x3, Beach Volleyball, Wheelchair Basketball 3x3
- ST NICHOLAS PARK - Cycling (Road Race)
- SUTTON PARK - Triathlon and Para Triathlon
- UNIVERSITY OF BIRMINGHAM SQUASH AND HOCKEY CENTRE - Hockey and Squash
- VICTORIA PARK - Lawn Bowls and Para Lawn Bowls
- VICTORIA SQUARE - Marathon
- WEST PARK - Cycling (Road Race)
A message from the editor:
Thank you for reading. BirminghamWorld is Birmingham’s latest news website, championing everything that is great about our city - reporting on news, lifestyle and sport. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook,Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going.