‘Right people’ - Liverpool star Virgil van Dijk makes red card admission as ban rules him out of Wolves clash

The Liverpool captain was sent off against Newcastle United two weeks ago.

Watch more of our videos on Shots!
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

Liverpool captain Virgil van Dijk will not feature against Wolves on Saturday after being handed an additional suspension in relation to his red card against Newcastle United on August 27th.

The 32-year-old, who has been on international duty with the Netherlands, was sent off after fouling Alexander Isak in the 28th minute of the match. Van Dijk was handed a one-match ban and missed Liverpool’s most recent fixture against Aston Villa, but he will now also be unavailable to face Wolves this weekend.

The FA has confirmed in an official statement that the centre-back will be suspended for an extra game and has been fined £100,000 for ‘breaking FA Rule E3’, which he has admitted to.

The statement read: “The defender admitted that he acted in an improper manner and used abusive and insulting words towards a match official after being sent off in the 29th minute, and the sanctions were subsequently imposed by an independent Regulatory Commission.”

Van Dijk led the Netherlands out against Ireland in their latest Euro 2024 qualifier and addressed his Liverpool suspension prior to the match. After being asked for his reaction on the extra ban, the defender said it has been “a hard and expensive lesson” to learn from.

“I have accepted it and I am happy that there is an end to it,” he continued. “Hopefully the money goes to the right people. A good cause is always better.”

Wolves will likely see Jurgen Klopp deploy the partnership of Joe Gomez and Joël Matip in defence when the Reds travel to Molineux in the 16th. However, the Liverpool boss is expecting Ibrahima Konaté to return from injury so he could potentially be an option as well.

Wolves will be looking to capitalise on the absence of Van Dijk and get back to winning ways after their tough defeat to Crystal Palace before the international break. Gary O’Neil’s side were edged out 3-2 by the Eagles as all five goals came in the second half. Matheus Cunha netted during stoppage time but it proved to merely be a consolation goal.

Related topics: