Birmingham City deadline day transfer state of play: Done deals, latest rumours and net spend detailed
On deadline day, here’s all the Birmingham City transfer news in one place, including the done deals, net spend and latest rumours in the 2023/24 summer window.
and live on Freeview channel 276
Birmingham City have dawned a new era under Tom Wagner’s ownership in style as it has been one of the most active transfer windows in recent memory.
John Eustace has seen his squad change considerably since the final game of the 2022/23 season against Sheffield United, with seven permanent departures and 12 new signings completed so far.
Around £8 million in sales and roughly £7.25 million in purchases has given Blues a net spend of -£750,000 but there seems to have been a vast improvement on the field despite the lack of big-money deals.
Birmingham aren’t done just yet, however, as they are looking set to add depth in defence as well as in attack. The summer transfer window slams shut at 11pm on Friday, September 1, 2023.
Birmingham City 2023/24 done deals - buys
Blues have made 12 signings in the summer window to date.
- Dion Sanderson – £2 million; in from Wolverhampton Wanderers; permanent until June 2027.
- Siriki Dembélé – £1.5 million; in from AFC Bournemouth; permanent until June 2026.
- Lee Buchanan – £1.3 million; in from Werder Bremen; permanent until June 2028.
- Krystian Bielik – <£1 million; in from Derby County; permanent until June 2026.
- Ethan Laird – £750,000; in from Manchester United; permanent until June 2026.
- Tyler Roberts – £750,000; in from Leeds United; permanent until June 2027.
- Jay Stansfield – season-long loan; in from Fulham; no option to buy clause included.
- Emanuel Aiwu – season-long loan; in from Cremonese; £2 million buy option included.
- Cody Drameh – season-long loan; in from Leeds United on Deadline Day.
- Koji Miyoshi – free transfer; in from Royal Antwerp; permanent until June 2025.
- Keshi Anderson – free transfer; in from Blackpool; permanent until June 2024.
- Kevin Long – free transfer; in after initial six-month contract; permanent until June 2024.
Birmingham City 2023/24 done deals - sales
Eustace’s side have confirmed nine outgoings so far, seven of which have been on a permanent basis.
- Tahith Chong – £5 million plus add-ons; sold to Luton Town.
- Jobe Bellingham – £2 million; sold to Sunderland.
- Maxime Colin – contract expired; now at FC Metz.
- Harlee Dean – contract expired; now at Reading.
- Troy Deeney – contract expired; now at Forest Green Rovers.
- Jordan Graham – contract expired; now at Leyton Orient.
- George Friend – contract expired; now at Bristol Rovers.
- Nico Gordon – season-long loan; at Solihull Moors until June 2024.
- Zach Zeacock – season-long loan; at Gloucester until June 2024.
Birmingham City 2023/24 transfer rumours - ins
Blues are making efforts to bring in a couple more reinforcements.
- Andi Zeqiri – the Brighton striker has tons of interest in the Championship and Blues enquired before signing Stansfield, reports Birmingham Live.
- Matthew Lowton – trained with the squad on a trial period a few weeks ago following his Burnley release.
- Gavin Kilkenny – according to Football Insider, the AFC Bournemouth midfielder is on the transfer shortlist.
- Bashir Humphreys – the Chelsea centre-back has been linked with a loan to the Championship and Blues are mentioned.
Birmingham City 2023/24 transfer rumours - outs
There has been plenty of concrete speculation about players potentially leaving this summer.
- Jordan James – interest from Everton and clubs in Serie A but happy to remain at St Andrew’s.
- Sam Cosgrove – the striker is wanted by Charlton Athletic, reports Alan Nixon. Expected to leave for a League One club on loan.
- Josh Williams – with Drameh coming in, the young right-back is looking for a loan move on deadline day.