Newcastle United confirm loan signing of Aston Villa left-back Matt Targett
Villa’s 2021 players’ player of the year is on the move
and live on Freeview channel 276
We want to hear from you: let us know what you think about this story and be part of the debate in our comments section below
At a glance: 5 key points
- Matt Targett has joined Newcastle United on loan for the remainder of the 21/22 season
- He becomes the third player to leave Villa Park on deadline day behind Kaine Kesler and Jed Steer
- Targett lost his place in the eleven following the arrival of Lucas Digne and leaves in search of more guaranteed game time
- The left-back was voted players’ player of the year just last season
- Targett joins the Magpies having played 19 games in all competitions this season for the claret & blue - scoring one goal and providing one assist
What’s been said
“I’m delighted to be here. I can’t wait to get going and meet all the fans and hopefully we can have a successful end to the season.
“My family have friends here and they’ve always said it’s a football-mad city, so to experience it and be part of it - I’m really looking forward to it.”
“We have gone into this transfer window with a plan to add strong competition in specific areas of the team and Matt will be a fantastic option for us on the left.
“He has important Premier League experience and know-how at this level, so I’m really pleased we’ve been able to add him to the squad.”
Matt Targett went into this campaign as Villa’s first choice left-back on the back of an incredibly successful 2020/21 season which saw him awarded players’ player of the year.
There’s no denying his performances haven’t been at the level that they were this time last season but it’s still a transfer that would have been hard to imagine just a matter of months ago.
The 26-year-old has made 89 appearances for Villa since his arrival in 2019, scoring three goals and providing five assists in that time.
Good luck, Matty.
A message from the editor:
Thank you for reading. BirminghamWorld is Birmingham’s latest news website, championing everything that is great about our city - reporting on news, lifestyle and sport. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and keep the conversation going.