Teen ‘slaughtered’ to death in broad daylight in Smethwick, court hears

Derlarno Samuels took refuge in a shop in Cape Hill after being stabbed in May last year

A 17-year-old boy was chased through a busy street by a teenager in broad daylight and “slaughtered” to death with a Rambo-style machete, a court heard.

Jurors heard Derlarno Samuels, 17, had taken refuge in a shop after being stabbed in the street by Cam-Ron Dunn.

The teenager died from a stab wound to the chest following the attack in Waterloo Road, Cape Hill, Smethwick.

Dunn, 18, is accused of attacking Derlarno with a “Rambo-style” knife before making his getaway on a bicycle on May 1 last year.

Dunn, who will turn 19 next Tuesday (March 8), denies murder but admits having a bladed article.

Members of Derlarno’s family sobbed as they left the public gallery in Wolverhampton Crown Court as CCTV footage of the murder was played on Monday (February, 28).

Derlarno Samuels died following a knife attack in Smethwick

What did the prosecutor say as the trial began?

Prosecutor Michelle Heeley QC told the jury: “On May 1 last year Derlarno Samuels was stabbed multiple times by this defendant.

“He collapsed and he died.

"The prosecution case is that this defendant murdered Derlarno Samuels. The defendant Cam-Ron Dunn said he acted in self-defence.

“You can be sure he did not.

"The defendant left his home on his bicycle at 4.02 pm.

“By 4.13pm he had stabbed Derlarno Samuels. He was back home by 4.20pm. His every movement was captured on CCTV.

"Some of what you will see is shocking. The entirety of the stabbing was caught on camera.

“The prosecution says this was not an act of self-defence."

A forensic officer at the scene of the stabbing in Waterloo Road, Smethwick after Derlarno Samulels died

Did any CCTV cameras capture the attack?

Footage which was played to the jury showed Dunn, of Smethwick, having an argument with someone who was inside a white Ford Focus near his home.

Derlarno was seen walking further up the road and had no involvement in the dispute, Miss Heeley said.

The Ford’s door is then seen to open and close before it performs a U-turn and driving away.

Miss Heeley said: "The defendant is seen pushing his bike up the high street.

“Derlarno Samuels is just starting to cross the road towards the defendant who drops his bike and immediately puts his hand towards his waistband. You see nothing in Derlarno’s hands.

"Dunn reaches into the back of his trouser leg for a Rambo-style machete. He pulls out the weapon and immediately stabs him twice."

The court heard an injured Derlarno ran inside Polish supermarket Nowa Polka but was chased by Dunn who hacked at him again with the blade.

Police cordon at the scene in Waterloo Road, Smethwick, after Derlarno Samuels died

What happened after Derlarno left the supermarket?

Moments after the brutal attack, Derlarno managed to scramble into the Ford which had earlier driven away following the altercation with Dunn.

Minutes later the car was found crashed a mile away in Heath Street, Winson Green, Birmingham.

Police and paramedics dashed to the scene and found Derlarno who was rushed to hospital but died a short time later.

The trial continues.

A message from the editor:

Thank you for reading. BirminghamWorld is Birmingham’s latest news website, championing everything that is great about our city - reporting on news, lifestyle and sport. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook,Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going.