Fast food takeaway director banned after rat droppings found at Birmingham restaurant

The director of a Birmingham takeaway restaurant fined £12,500 for food hygiene and safety offences has been banned from running a food business
Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

Birmingham City Council has prosecuted the director of a fast food takeaway restaurant after inspectors uncovered food hygiene and safety issues.

Sadek Seikh pleaded guilty to six offences at Birmingham Magistrates Court and was fined £12,500.

He was the sole director of Parathawala Ltd, a fast food takeaway based at 401 Alum Rock Road in Alum Rock which sold various dishes including peri peri chicken, biryani, tandoori, doner kebabs, burgers and more.

The prosecution under the Food Safety and Hygiene (England) Regulations 2013 was brought against the takeaway after it was closed three times in 12 months.

Seikh, of Saltley, pleaded guilty to six offences on 4 May 2023 under these regulations for failing to ensure proper pest control procedures were in place and failing to keep the takeaway clean. The business was ordered to pay a fine of £12,500 plus £1,058.50 in costs and a £190 victim surcharge.

The council made an application for Mr Seikh to be prohibited from running a food business, which the court supported – banning him from participating in the management of any food business.

These court orders remain in place until the subject of the order has made a successful application to the magistrates, advising why they should lift the ban and they then revoke the order.

Rat droppings found at Birmingham takeawayRat droppings found at Birmingham takeaway
Rat droppings found at Birmingham takeaway

Inspections by environmental health officers found breaches of legislation on three inspections. On the first two, in March 2022  and September 2022, rat droppings were found in food storage and preparation areas as a result of inadequate measures to control rat activity.

During the last unannounced inspection, on 14 March 2023, inspectors found live cockroaches in food storage and preparation areas. On all three occasions the takeaway was temporarily shut down using emergency powers after officers deemed the conditions presented an imminent risk to consumers’ health.

The business has since been reinspected, after requesting a re-rating visit, and on 3 May 2023 was given a 3 rating for food hygiene and safety.

Related topics: