20 photos of Birmingham’s historic Cannon Hill Park on 150th anniversary - including Prince Harry visit

The park opened to visitors in 1873 and is turning 150 this month - for which a massive celebration will take place on Saturday (September 9)

One of Birmingham’s biggest parks will celebrate its 150th anniversary by stepping back into the Victorian era this month.

The massive park is made up of 80 acres of formal parkland and 120 acres of conservation and woodland plantation and is home to the Birmingham Wildlife Conservation Centre and the mac theatre. The Green Flag Award-winning Cannon Hill Park was designed by Mr T J Gibson, who also designed Battersea Park in London.

It was turned into a park after philanthropist Louisa Ryland gifted 57 acres of meadowland to Birmingham. The park opened to visitors in 1873 and is home to a grade II listed bandstand that was part of the original layout. It is also home to a pub constructed around 1520 that was originally a Guild House that stood in Deritend High Street - on the opposite side of the road to The Old Crown.

It has been used for many purposes like a school, housing for the clergy, and later a tannery and a pub. It fell into disrepair and was under threat of demolition in 1910. It was bought by a local and relocated brick-by-brick to Cannon Hill Park in Moseley - where it now sits.

A massive celebration will take place on Saturday 9 September to celebrate the public space - which has been the site for the Olympic relay in 2012 to the Rover march and much more. Here are 20 photos of the historic park to celebrate the occasion:

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.