West Brom injury latest as eight doubts and one return confirmed ahead of Rotherham United clash
Carlos Corberan will struggle to reignite his side’s initial impressive form with so many players on the treatment table.
and live on Freeview channel 276
West Brom have seen a mass exodus of players into the physio room recently, with plenty suffering injury problems ahead of the Championship playoff run-in. The Baggies are left four points behind the top six with eight fixtures left to play.
Manager Carlos Corberan oversaw an incredible run of form when he came into the club but now finds himself struggling to reignite those impressive performances amidst this injury crisis. That said, the Baggies have plenty of opportunities to turn that around despite some key members of their squad being missing for the remainder of the campaign.
Here’s an update on each injured member of Albion’s squad.
- Injury: Sustained knee and ankle injuries during a training session in early February, which meant David Button was forced to deputise along with Josh Griffiths in recent weeks. Corberan stated that the goalkeeper would be out for around 6-7 weeks.
- Return: Palmer was due to return after the international break, but didn’t quite make the squad for their 0-0 draw with Millwall on Saturday. However, when he does come back there are no guarantees he will be able to displace Griffiths in goal.
- Injury: Suffered a knee injury whilst on international duty with the Republic of Ireland, during their 1-0 defeat to France. It was deemed an impact injury on reflection.
- Return: The defender will be a huge miss for Corberan’s side, and is expected to be out for the remainder of the campaign.
- Injury: In the same vein as O’Shea, Molumby picked up a groin injury whilst on international duty with the Republic of Ireland.
- Return: Set to be out for the next four weeks, the midfielder could return for the last few games of the campaign if he recovers well. But ultimately he will play little part in the remainder of the season.
- Injury: Struggled with a variety of issues since the World Cup break, having not appeared in the side since November.
- Return: Bartley finally made his return to first-team action against Millwall and played 45 minutes for the Baggies’ under-21 side on Monday evening against Derby County. It’s thought that the defender is now ready to return to action.
- Injury: The defender came off during last season’s 1-0 victory over Hull City during Valerien Ismael’s tenure at the club and hasn’t featured since. Believed to have been a serious ACL injury.
- Return: Bryan is unlikely to play a part in the remainder of the season, his contract also expires at the end of the campaign.
- Injury: Suffered a serious knee injury on his debut for Wigan Athletic, for whom he’d signed on loan. Kelly is now set for surgery and a lengthy spell on the sidelines.
- Return: The former Crystal Palace and Liverpool man will be missing for the rest of the season.
- Injury: The winger was brought off with a quadriceps injury during their FA Cup replay victory over Chesterfield.
- Return: Phillips will struggle to return before the end of the campaign.
- Injury: Suffered ligament damage in his foot during the Middlesbrough victory at The Hawthorns.
- Return: After undergoing surgery on the problem, Diangana will miss the remainder of Albion’s season.
- Injury: Corberan says Grant has struggled with a quadriceps injury in recent weeks, with him not featuring since Albion’s defeat to Watford in February.
- Return: The Baggies are hoping to have the forward back in time for the final few games of the season.