Aston Villa told to ‘up offer’ for midfielder as bid to sign defender ‘shut down’
All the latest Aston Villa transfer news and rumours as Steven Gerrard and his men continue their preparations for the new season.
A big season awaits the Lions as they look to improve on their disappointing campaign of last, and there will be real pressure due to the level of activity in the summer window so far.
Gerrard has been given the opportunity to put his own stamp on his squad, with this being his first summer window that has seen him land a number of high-profile arrivals.
Villa have snapped up the likes of Philippe Coutinho, Boubacar Kamara and Diego Carlos, and we could yet see more arrivals.
Exits are just as likely, with the summer window looking like being a very busy one for Villa.
Here we round up all the latest transfer news and rumours surrounding the Lions:
Villa have reportedly been told to up their offer for Porto midfielder Otavio.
Reports this week claimed the Midlands club had submitted an offer worth £25.9million plus around £4million in add-ons.
But according to Correio da Manhã, that offer is not enough, with Porto wanting the full value of the attacking midfielder’s release clause met.
It’s claimed Otavio has a release clause worth around £34.6million, or at least until July 15, when the clause will rise to around £51million.
Villa need to get a move on if they want to complete this deal.
Ake shut down
Villa have been linked with a move for Manchester City star Nathan Ake.
Reports claim Villa could strengthen even further at the back, even after the signing of Diego Carlos, and Ake has been touted as an option.
But according to the Manchester Evening News, City would not consider any bid for Ake unless they already have a replacement lined up.
City are unlikely to sign a centre-back this summer, meaning a deal for Villa should be out of the question.