The French defender becomes Steven Gerrard’s second bit of business this January window, following the arrival of Philippe Coutinho on loan from Barcelona.
We want to hear from you: let us know what you think about this story and be part of the debate in our comments section below
5 Key Points
- Lucas Digne has joined Aston Villa from Premier League rivals Everton
- Digne becomes Steven Gerrard’s second signing at Villa Park after Coutinho
- An attacking left-back, the Frenchman scored six times and provided 20 assists during his time on Merseyside
- The 28-year-old has won titles in France & Spain and plays international football with France
- He will wear the number 27 shirt at Villa Park
What’s been said
Aston Villa manager Steven Gerrard:
“When Lucas became available we jumped at the opportunity to bring him to the club.
“To sign a player of his pedigree and quality in the January window is a great addition to our squad and his arrival excites me and everyone associated with Aston Villa.”
“I’m really happy to be here, it’s a big project.
“After the signing of Philippe [Coutinho], the club are spending a lot of money since last summer and I’m really happy to be here.
“I came here for the manager. I had a very good meeting with him.
“We spoke a couple of times this month and I feel his desire to win, to show his attacking football, his position - I feel its what I want and what I want to show to the fans.”
We’ll bring you more as we have it throughout the day!
A message from the editor: Thank you for reading. BirminghamWorld is Birmingham’s latest news website, championing everything that is great about our city - reporting on news, lifestyle and sport. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook,Twitter and Instagram and keep the conversation going.