The 29-year-old Brazilian played alongside Villa boss Steven Gerrard during his time at Anfield and that is believed to have been a key factor in Coutinho’s decision to join the claret & blue.
We want to hear from you: let us know what you think about this story and be part of the debate in our comments section
At a glance: 5 key points
- Philippe Coutinho has signed for Aston Villa on a six-month-loan deal
- The 29-year-old is the first signing of the Steven Gerrard era at Villa Park
- Gerrard and Coutinho played alongside each other at Liverpool and this is said to have played a big factor in the latter’s decision
- The Brazilian scored 54 goals in 201 appearances last time he played in England
- Coutinho’s loan deal has an ‘option to buy’ in it upon it’s expiry
What’s been said
Aston Villa manager Steven Gerrard:
“Sixty three caps for Brazil, a serial winner, played for Barcelona, was incredible at Liverpool.
“I can understand why a lot of supporters up and down the country are speaking about him. I don’t think you get a nickname as a Magician if you’re not a special footballer.
“He’s someone I’ve got an incredible amount of respect for.
“He won two league titles for Barcelona, he won two Copa del Reys. If you go and have a look at his Wiki page, you’ll see a serial winner wherever he’s been.
“I’ve got nothing but positive things to say about the player. He’s a friend of mine.”
We’ll bring you more reaction from Steven Gerrard, the Villa board and more as we have it.
Happy, Villa fans?
A message from the editor:
Thank you for reading. BirminghamWorld is Birmingham’s latest news website, championing everything that is great about our city - reporting on news, lifestyle and sport. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook,Twitter and Instagram and keep the conversation going.