Warning to dog owners after ‘heartbroken’ woman’s puppy dies of highly infectious parvovirus disease

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
A ‘heartbroken’ dog owner is raising awareness after puppy Willow died less than a week after contracting the highly infectious parvovirus

A woman has been left ‘heartbroken’ after she lost her five-month-old puppy to a highly infectious disease. Georgie Skuse - who is from Bristol - is looking to raise awareness around the contagious parvovirus that targets the stomach and small intestine.

Georgie and her best friend Maddy bought Willow in September. According to Skuse, the puppy was a “lovely little bundle of joy who loved her walks, being around the children and loved people.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

In mid-October Willow became poorly but Georgie assumed the illness would pass as the five-month-old pup started eating again. However, Skuze rushed Willow to the vets as the dog’s condition started to worsen.

“I took her to the vets immediately where they said it was a sickness bug and gave her an anti sickness injection, and said she would be better within the next 24 hours, the next morning she was no different if not worse and was sick again,” said Georgie.

When Willow started “passing blood through her bottom” Georgie asked if the vets could immediately examine the dog for parvovirus. The test came back positive.

On Sunday, October 16, Willow’s body deteriorated and the puppy tragically passed away - just one month after meeting her new owners. Willow contracted parvovirus a week before she died and was fully vaccinated, according to Georgie.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

What is Parvovirus and symptoms to look out for

Parvovirus is a highly contagious disease that attacks the stomach and small intestine where it disrupts the gut barrier and damages cells. The virus is commonly spread through direct contact with an infected pet or contact with a contaminated object.

Parvovirus can be potentally fatal for young and unvaccinated Parvovirus can be potentally fatal for young and unvaccinated
Parvovirus can be potentally fatal for young and unvaccinated | markus-winkler unsplash

Humans who are exposed to animals infected with parvovirus can contaminate their pet’s food bowl or leash.

Common symptoms of parvovirus include a loss of appetite; abdominal pain or bloating; vomiting and nausea; fever or low body temperature; severe and bloody diarrhoea, and lethargy.

Skuse has started a GoFundMe and is looking to raise money for the vets who treated Willow up until her final days. You can help Georgie reach her £500 goal by visiting the GoFundMe website.

Related topics:

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.