Trams and buses in Birmingham
With several major road closures and road works planned throughout Christmas and New Year, Transport for West Midlands (TfWM) is urging people making journeys to use public transport.
Buses, trains and trams - and the region’s newly launched electric bikes - are being recommended as a good way to travel to see friends and family and football matches.
However there are restrictions to services at certain times.
When are West Midlands buses, trains and trams running over Christmas?
Public transport is running across the West Midlands throughout the festive period part from these key dates:
- No public transport running on Christmas Day
- Rail services ending early on Christmas Eve with no trains running on Boxing Day
- Buses running reduced or Sunday services on the key bank holidays.
- West Midlands Metro running a limited service between Wolverhampton and Bull Street
- Works on the railways mean there will be replacement bus services between Birmingham New Street and Tame Bridge Parkway on New Year’s Day and between New Street and Bromsgrove/Redditch on Sunday 2 January
For full details and the latest information go to Transport for West Midlands
What has TfWM said about the reduced public transport?
TfWM interim managing director Anne Shaw said: “Although many of us will be at home, off school or working from home, there are many who are still planning trips out for the festive season and may need to use public transport.
“There are services running every day except Christmas Day but people will need to check for timetable changes and disruption, especially on the bank holidays, before travelling. All that information is in one place at Transport for West Midlands.
“And, unless exempt, remember to wear a face covering for your whole journey.”
What closures and roadworks are taking place over Christmas and New Year?
Full closure of the M42 between J9 and J10 north and southbound from 9pm on Friday 24 December to 9pm on Friday 31 December.
A message from the editor:
Thank you for reading. BirminghamWorld is Birmingham’s latest news website, championing everything that is great about our city - reporting on news, lifestyle and sport. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook,Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going.