West Midlands Ambulance Service: What vacancies are on offer?
This is a 42-month student paramedic programme during which the student will be paid.
and live on Freeview channel 276
West Midlands Ambulance Service’s battle with catastrophic issues with delays in responding to incidents has been widely reported.
Earlier this year, the nursing director Mark Docherty said the service could collapse within months. And in October 2021, the West Midlands Ambulance Board said handover delays were causing needless deaths.
The West Midlands Ambulance recently stepped back from the NHS 111 service and it has been contracted to DHU Healthcare for an initial period of 18 months.
Now WMAS has launched recruitment drive to help people join their vital life-saving emergency service - and you could join them and help support their work.
Their student programme is now open and eligible candidates can apply even if they are waiting for A-level results. There are also range of other vacancies at WMAS that you can apply for today, all listed below.
What is the student programme at West Midlands Ambulance Service?
The programme lets students complete a Level 6 degree in Paramedic Science while earning a salary. The application process is now open but closes soon.
Here is when you can apply
Friday 29th July – Thursday 25th August
Monday 12th September – Sunday 9th October
Monday 5th December – Sunday 1st January
1. Five GCSEs including Maths, English Language and Science at grade C or above and an A Level qualification.
2. A full driving licence (must not exceed 3 points) or provisional Category C on the driving licence or have submitted the application form and medical forms in order to apply for the provisional.
3. Apart from having passion and committment to the job, students should be willing to undertake rotating shifts covering 24 hours a day and accommodate shift changes at short notice. They must also be willing to work a full rotational shift pattern including weekends, days, nights, Christmas, New Year and bank holidays.
A reference history for the last three years with a minimum of two references (one of which must be a current or most recent line manager). Only employment and academic references are acceptable as well as a Work Health assessment screening and enhanced DBS Check.
For more details, click here.
Other vacancies at West Midlands Ambulance Service
1. Graduate paramedic - This is for those who are due to qualify in pre-hospital care resulting in registration as a Paramedic with the HCPC. Read more about it here.
2. Call assessor - Call assessors are responsible for recording the right information, sometimes under difficult circumstances and offering advice or reassurance to the caller/patient. Read more here.
3. Non-emergency Patient Transport Service Person - In this role, you may work as part of a crew or on your own and will be responsible for taking patients, with varying mobility and medical conditions, to and from their pre-arranged appointments and back home again in a NEPTS vehicle; this could be a car, ambulance or another vehicle. Read more here.
4. Vehicle Preparation Operative - In this role, you will work on each of our operational hubs as part of the Make Ready team to ensure the emergency vehicles; ambulances and cars are checked and roadworthy, deep cleaned and are stocked with the correct clinical equipment. Read more here.
5. Apprentice - This is open to anyone interested in starting a career in the NHS Ambulance Service. For more details, click here.
5. Support staff - If you want to work behind the scenes across the West Midlands supporting our staff in Human Resources, IT, Finance, Fleet, Press and Communications, Corporate Services, there are vacancies available. Read more details here.
A message from the editor:
Thank you for reading. BirminghamWorld is Birmingham’s latest news website, championing everything that is great about our city - reporting on news, lifestyle and sport. Find out more about who’s who in the team, and our editorial values. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook,Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going.