The stunning Birmingham restaurant named the best in the city at the British Restaurant Awards 2023
The prestigious British Restaurant Awards 2023 took place on Tuesday night - here are the winners
and live on Freeview channel 276
The fifth annual British Restaurant Awards (BRA) took place on Tuesday night (September 5) with one local restaurant being named the very best in Birmingham.
From Best New Restaurant and Best Chef, to Best Luxury Restaurant and Restaurant of the Year, there were plenty of categories for the BRA awards this year.
The esteemed awards ceremony was hosted by television presenter Cait King, who was joined by guest presenters Paris Smith from Made in Chelsea and Olympics Champion, Dwain Chambers.
BRA’s Best Restaurant in Birmingham
There were ten nominees for the Best Restaurant in Birmingham category.
The title of Birmingham’s best restaurant for 2023 has gone to Qavali in Brindleyplace. The Persian Restaurant & Cocktail Bar opened its doors in 2021, and offers fine dining from the Ottoman Empire, covering culinary specialities from across Iran, Turkey, Afghanistan, Persia and India.
The name Qavali, comes from the style of Sufi devotional singing which originates from the Arabic word meaning ‘to speak’ and has inspired the aesthetic behind the brand. The exquisite menu offers the most delicious dishes from all over the Middle East, with many halal options.
These include the Hyderabadi Biryani, delicately layered in saffron rice, topped with a thin and crispy pastry lid. Choosing from prawn, lamb, chicken or paneer, the biryani is slow cooked for a rich and aromatic flavour.
The restaurant is large but intimate, the dramatic interior includes dark green furniture, a grand oval shaped bar, handmade sculptures, knotted Persian rugs, velvet curtains, and gorgeous stained-glass lighting.
Full list of winners
Bleú Steakhouse in Tonbridge was named as the Best New Restaurant, with Gordon Ramsey being named the best Chef. Here are the full list of winners of the BRA 2023:
- Best New Restaurant 2023: Bleú Steakhouse
- Best Chef 2023: Gordon Ramsey
- Best Food Ordering Company 2023: UberEats
- Best Luxury Restaurant 2023: Bocconcino, London
- Restaurant of The Year 2023: 8 By Andrew Sheridan, Liverpool
- Best Hospitality Team 2023: Thai Square Restaurant
- Best Restaurant in Leicester 2023: Maurizio’s
- Best Restaurant Chain 2023: Gaucho
- Best Takeaway Restaurant 2023: Chamisse, London
- Best Culinary Experience 2023: Happy Bar & Grill, London
- Best Restaurant in Manchester 2023: 20 Stories
- Best Restaurant in London 2023: Happy Bar & Grill – London
- Best Restaurant in Liverpool 2023: 8 By Andrew Sheridan
- Best Restaurant in Wales 2023: Heaney’s – Cardiff
- Best Restaurant in Surrey 2023: Positano
- Best Restaurant in Essex 2023: The Blue Strawberry Bistrot
- Best Restaurant in Newcastle 2023: Victors Newcastle
- Best Restaurant in Sheffield 2023: Carluccios
- Best Restaurant in Bradford 2023: Café J’adore
- Best Restaurant in Bristol 2023: Namak
- Best Restaurant in Brighton 2023: The Salt Room Restaurant
- Best Restaurant in Leeds 2023: Lala’s Restaurant
- Best Restaurant in Birmingham 2023: Qavali
- Best Restaurant in Southampton 2023: Figurati
- Best Restaurant in Cambridge 2023: Mina Steakhouse
- Best Young Chef 2023: Luke Selby
- Best Bar 2023: Lab 22, Cardiff
- Best International Cuisine 2023: Thai Square
- Best Vegan-Friendly Restaurant 2023: Down the Hatch, Liverpool