Snow Dome Tamworth: Boy who died named as Louis Watkiss

Staffordshire police have confirmed the identity of the 12-year-old boy who died at the Snow Dome on Friday 24 September

Louis Watkiss, 12, died after being seriously injured Snow Dome in Tamworth (photo from Staffordshire police)

Police have named the 12-year-old boy who died after being seriously hurt at the Snow Dome indoor ski centre in Tamworth.

The boy who died in the tragic incident has been named as Louis Watkiss from Sutton Coldfield.

Sign up to our BirminghamWorld Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Officers are investigating the circumstances around his death, with support from the Health and Safety Executive

Police were called at 6.40pm on Friday, September 24, to reports that a child had been seriously injured at the Snow Dome.

Officers attended the location, along with ambulance crews, but sadly, Louis died of his injuries shortly afterwards.

A statement from Staffordshire police, said: “Louis’s family are being supported by specially-trained officers. We would ask everyone to respect the family’s right to grieve in private during this extremely difficult time.“Staffordshire Police is continuing to investigate the circumstances with support from the Health and Safety Executive.”

The Snow Dome has been closed since Friday.

A statement on the company’s Facebook page says: “The Snow Dome is to remain temporarily closed following the tragic death of a child on Friday evening.

“The Directors and staff are deeply shocked by what happened, and our thoughts and prayers are with his family at this terrible time.

“An investigation is currently being carried out by the authorities, and we are giving it our full co-operation. We are unable to reopen until their work has been completed, but hope to be able to update you on the position in the very near future.”

West Midlands Ambulance Service was called to the centre in River Drive at 6.35pm on Friday.

Two ambulances, two paramedic officers and the Midlands Air Ambulances from Cosford and Staffordshire were sent to the scene.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman, said: “On arrival crews found a boy who had suffered very serious injuries.

“Staff worked on him providing advanced life support, but sadly, despite all of the efforts it was not possible to save him and he was confirmed dead at the scene.”

A man who was also injured at the time was not seen by ambulance staff.