Oliver Pugh found guilty of murdering taxi driver near Earlswood Lakes in Solihull

Oliver Pugh has been found guilty of murder following the trial at Birmingham Crown Court

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

A teenager who stabbed a taxi driver to death and stole his car is facing life in jail after being found guilty of murder.

Oliver Pugh, 19, violently attacked Mohammed Istakhar, 46, after luring him to a remote country lane so he could steal his vehicle.

A court heard the dad-of-five pleaded with his killer “I have got a family, I have got kids” before he was fatally stabbed in the chest on November 29 last year. Pugh, of Solihull, was today (Friday, July 7) found guilty of murder and possessing a knife following a trial at Birmingham Crown Court.

Luca de Fazio, 18, of no fixed address, was cleared of the same charge. He had previously admitted a charge of having a knife.

The court heard that the defendants had gone for a night out in Birmingham city centre.

After leaving Rosies nightclub Pugh had asked a woman he met there if she was a snitch and then said ‘I am going to rob a taxi’ although she assumed he was joking. Jurors were told the Mr Istakhar, had ‘the misfortune’ of picking up the teenagers as a fare after they had been on a night out in Birmingham city centre.

He drove to Braggs Farm Lane near Earlswood Lakes in Solihull, where Pugh pretended to go and fetch cash to pay for the taxi.

Mohammed Istakhar's devastated family have paid tribute to himMohammed Istakhar's devastated family have paid tribute to him
Mohammed Istakhar's devastated family have paid tribute to him

He then returned with a knife and stabbed Mr Istakhar through the heart as he tried to defend himself before stealing his Vauxhall Insignia. At one point the victim, who also suffered stab wounds to his thigh, finger and arm, was captured on CCTV being pursued by Pugh who then turned back.

Mr Istakhar was found in a pool of blood along the country lane by another motorist on their way to work at around 6.30am.

But nothing could be done to save the taxi driver despite the efforts of paramedics who rushed to the scene near Earlsdon Lakes reservoir.

The jury was told that the defendants effectively blamed each other for what had happened after being arrested.

Related topics: