Bus strikes in the West Midlands are set to get underway next week unless an agreement can be reached by National Express and Unite the union over the weekend.
National Express say a vote on an improved offer will take place on Saturday (18 March), but buses will be running as normal until then. If the strike goes ahead, a limited network will run from 20th March.
All out indefinite strike action impacting 93 per cent of the West Midlands bus network by 3,100 National Express drivers will begin this Monday (March 20) if National Express and the union fail to come to an agreement over the improved pay-offer.
Strike action was due to begin on Thursday (March 16), but they were suspended after an the new pay offer from National Express was made to staff.
Unite said they cancelled the strike to allow the new offer to be balloted on by the company’s staff and its members. Unite have said the pay offer was likely to be rejected because ‘it ties workers into a three year pay deal’.
Talks will now continue over the weekend to see if an agreement can be reached. Here’s what you need to know ahead of next week.
Which services will be running during strikes?
If the strikes begin on Monday, no school bus services will be running during the strikes. A limited service will be running across the region and the company is set to run a small Hospital Route Network in Birmingham and the Black Country.
This is the current timetable with the strikes expected to begin on Monday.
Only the below services are expected to run during industrial action.
- 4 Birmingham - Solihull (via Sparkbrook, Tyseley, Acocks Green & Olton)5 |
- West Bromwich - Sutton Coldfield (via Great Barr, Kingstanding & New Oscott)
- 6 | Birmingham - Solihull (via Sparkbrook, Sparkhill, Hall Green & Shirley)6 |
- 6 Dudley - Stourbridge (via Russells Hall Hospital, Brierley Hill & Amblecote)
- 28 | Heartlands Hospital - Great Barr (via Ward End, Castle Bromwich, Erdington, Old Oscott & Perry Beeches)
- 51 | Birmingham - Walsall (via Great Barr & Perry Barr)
- 59 | Wolverhampton - Ashmore Park (via New Cross Hospital & Wednesfield)
- 87 | Birmingham - Dudley (via City Hospital, Smethwick, Oldbury & Tividale)
- 97 | Birmingham - Chelmsley Wood (via Bordesley Green, Heartlands Hospital & Meadway)
- 529 | Wolverhampton - Walsall (via Willenhall)X4 | Birmingham - Falcon Lodge (via Aston Expressway, Erdington, Sutton Coldfield & Good Hope Hospital)
- X21| Birmingham - Bartley Green (via Birmingham University, Selly Oak & Weoley Castle)
If your service is not listed above, it will not be operating.