Mosque worshipper attacked in Kings Heath, Birmingham: City Council statement
Birmingham City Counicl leaders issue a statement after a 73 year old man is attacked on his way home from a mosque in Kings Heath
and live on Freeview channel 276
Police are appealing for information after a 73 year-old man was attacked on his way home from a mosque in Kings Heath.
Officers say there is no suggestion that the attack on York Road at around 11pm last night (Wednesday, March 29) is linked to the two separate attacks on men leaving mosques in Edgbaston and Ealing London.
One attacker can be seen kicking the OAP forcibly in the back, causing him to fall and smash his head on a display board outside a bar. The gang then fled the scene while the victim was taken to hospital with a broken hand and cuts to his face.
West Midlands Police said the victim had fallen during the attack and hit his head on a display board. He remains in hospital. The victim’s family have also appealed for information on social media.
His daughter wrote on Facebook: “Last night at around 11pm my dad was violently attacked by a group of thugs on York Road as he was on his way back home from the mosque.
“They assaulted him from behind and left him unconscious on the footpath bleeding out. He is in hospital. Please pray for him and be safe and vigilant. Also if anybody saw anything or heard anything, please, please I urge you to contact the police so that we can catch these cowards.”
This afternoon Birmingham City Council issued a statement from Leader Cllr Ian Ward and ward councillors Cllr Lisa Trickett and Cllr David Barker saying: “This was an attack on an elderly gentleman walking home from his local mosque and our thoughts are with the victim and his family at this time.
“Ward councillors and the Community Safety team are speaking to the family and West Midlands Police and will continue to offer support.
“Council officers and local councillors have also been engaging with community groups and local mosques to offer support to the wider community.
“We would urge everyone to work with the police and to avoid any speculation at this stage – and would like to thank the local community for their willingness to share information on this incident.”
In a statement, the city’s Green Lane Mosque said it was "shocked by the attack on an elderly member of the community". The management committee said: "Our thoughts and prayers are with our elderly brother and his family," said the management committee.
“It confirmed police had been in touch with mosque leaders in the city "to allay any fears and to offer support, particularly with continuing evening prayers over Ramadan".
Sgt Chris Gallon, of the force, said: "This was an appalling attack on a member of the public who was heading home. We’ll be taking a full statement from the victim, who remains in hospital today, and we’ve already got officers in the area this morning recovering CCTV and carrying out house-to-house inquiries. We are working hard to identify the attackers and the car that they were in.
“At this stage the motive for the attack is not clear, but there is nothing to suggest any connection at all to the recent attack on a man who was walking home from a mosque in Edgbaston.”
Police added that the attackers are described as two white men and one black man, all aged between 18 and 30. All were wearing tracksuits.
Anyone with information that could assist the police investigation, please contact West Midlands Police’s live chat facility on their website, quoting log 5182 of 29 March 2023. Alternatively get in touch via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.