Kimani Martin: three convicted for taxi shooting in West Midlands

Kimani Martin was killed after he was shot at from another car

Three men have been convicted over the killing of a teenager in a revenge attack.

Kimani Martin was in a taxi which was chased down by a group in another car in Tividale in the early hours of 20 June last year.

Drug dealer Kisharne Campbell admitted to firing the shotgun, but claimed it was to get the taxi to stop after he’d earlier been kidnapped and robbed of personal belongings by 18-year-old Kimani and two unknown associates.

However, Campbell was on Wednesday (22 June) convicted of murder alongside Atif Khan who was the driver of the car which helped hunt Kimani down. A third member of the group Usman Amjad was convicted of manslaughter.

Kisharne Campbell

How the killers were caught

Homicide detectives collated CCTV, ring door bell and phone record evidence to connect the group to the killing. It led to two of them being arrested within days and the other – who fled the country – was detained on his return from Pakistan months later.

The court heard that Campbell had earlier been bundled into his own car and then robbed of his mobile phone and jewellery. Campbell’s phone was used to make the booking and was found – along with his neck chain – in the cab following the killing.

After Kimani and his associates fled, Campbell met up with Amjad and Khan and they used a stolen Volkswagen Golf to search for the trio.

After promptly tracing them the fatal shot was fired in Dudley Road East. They circled the area looking for Kimani’s two associates who managed to escape with their lives.

A police van happened to be in the area at the time but the Golf – which was to be found torched the next day – fled from them. The Specials on board then quickly got to the scene and tried to save Kimani’s life.

Following the killing the group went to a friend’s nearby address and Campbell and Amjad ordered a taxi to a hostel where the latter was temporarily staying in Wednesbury.

Despite having only just been involved in a killing they casually picked up a fast food takeaway on their way.

The following morning Campbell was captured on CCTV speaking to another resident at the hostel and re-enacting the firing of a gun.

Atif Khan

Amjad had asked another resident to dispose of bedding from his room, but having identified the suspects police managed to seize this before it could be destroyed. Forensic analysis showed particles of gunshot residue.

Campbell, aged 24, of Vicarage Road, Tipton and Amjad (22), of Wood Green Road, Wednesbury, were arrested inside four days. Amjad was arrested at Heathrow Airport.

Khan (25) from Park Lane in Tipton; had left the country but he was arrested on the aeroplane as he arrived back in the county in October.

They were convicted following a trial at Birmingham Crown Court. They will be sentenced next Wednesday (29 June).

Usman Amjad

What has West Midlands Police said about the case?

Detective Inspector Jim Colclough, who led the investigation, said: “This was the targeted shooting of a young man and it would have been a triple killing had Kimani’s two associates not managed to run for their lives.

“It’s inconceivable none of them knew a loaded shotgun was on board and the intention was to seek retribution. Although Campbell fired the fatal gun shot, they acted together to hunt Kimani down and quite rightly been convicted for their involvement in his death.

“The pain of losing a loved one never fully goes away and we can hope these convictions ease some of the suffering his family continue to feel.”

A message from the editor:

Thank you for reading. BirminghamWorld is Birmingham’s latest news website, championing everything that is great about our city - reporting on news, lifestyle and sport. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook,Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going.