Boris Johnson: have Conservative MPs in Birmingham, Solihull and Sandwell sent a no-confidence in PM letter?
One local Tory MP has confirmed he will not back the Prime Minister during tonight’s no confidence vote
and live on Freeview channel 276
Boris Johnson will face a vote of confidence by Tory MPs on Monday evening following weeks of discontent over lockdown-breaching parties in No 10 and Whitehall.
A steady stream of Tory MPs publicly called for the Prime Minister to stand down in the wake of Sue Gray’s ‘partygate’ report and now the threshold for a vote has been reached.
Mr Johnson was informed that he would face a vote on Sunday after Sir Graham Brady, the chairman of the backbench 1922 Committee, confirmed he had received the 54 letters from Conservative MPs needed to trigger the ballot.
The vote – by secret ballot – will take place at Westminster on Monday between 6pm and 8pm, with the count to take place immediately afterwards.
Almost 30 Tory MPs have publicly said they want a confidence vote and said they want Mr Johnson to leave office immediately, according to a tally by Sky’s politics producer Tom Larkin.
More than 40 Tories have questioned the PM’s position since the publication of Sue Gray’s partygate report last week, Sky News reports.
The one Midlands Conservative MP who has confirmed his intention not to back the Prime Minister is Sutton Coldfield MP Andrew Mitchell.
Mr Mitchell has confirmed that he will ‘not be supporting the Prime Minister’ tonight. He has been listed among the Conservative MPs who have sent a letter of no-confidence to the 1922 committee.
Back in January, the Sutton Coldfield MP told Mr Johnson that he “no longer enjoys my support” in the House of Commons.
Mr Mitchell was as a guest on the BBC Radio 4 Today programme back in February where he accused Mr Johnson of running the government like a ‘medieval court’.
Which local Conservative MPs will be voting tonight?
Here is a list of the Conservative MPs in Birmingham, Sandwell and Solihull.
- Gary Sambrook - Northfield
- Andrew Mitchell - Sutton Coldfield
- Julian Knight - Solihull
- Saqid Bhatti - Meriden
- Nicola Richards - West Bromwich East
- Shaun Bailey - West Bromwich West
- James Morris - Halesowen and Rowley Regis
What have the other MPs said?
Shaun Bailey confirmed on Twitter this morning (June 6) that he will be backing the Prime Minister this evening.
Posting on Twitter, he wrote: “I’ll be backing the Prime Minister today. Fastest vaccine rollout, fastest Post Covid reopening and getting Brexit delivered after years of blockage.
“Locally in Sandwell, under this PrimeMinister we’ve now got Cllrs and MPs and continue to grow. That’s why I’m backing the PM.”
James Morris MP will also be backing the PM.
He wrote on Twitter: “The Prime Minister has got the big calls right in the last few years, and we need strong leadership going forward as we deal with the cost of living issues, levelling up our country, and helping Ukraine fight back against Putin’s aggression.
“He will have my full support tonight.”
Which MPs have submitted a letter of no confidence?
The following MPs have confirmed they have submitted a letter of no confidence:
- Peter Alduous, MP for Waveney
- Aaron Bell, MP for Newcastle-under-Lyme
- Tobias Ellwood, MP for Bournemouth East
- Sir Roger Gale, MP for North Thanet
- Stephen Hammond, MP for Wimbledon
- Mark Harper, MP for Forest of Dean
- Anthony Mangnall, MP for Totnes
- Nigel Mills, MP for Amber Valley
- Caroline Nokes, MP for Romsey and Southampton North
- Gary Streeter, MP for South Devon
- Craig Whittaker, MP for Calder Valley
- David Davis, MP for Haltemprice and Howden
- Steve Baker, MP for High Wycombe
- William Wragg, MP for Hazel Grove
- Tim Loughton, MP for East Worthing and Shoreham
- Andrew Mitchell, MP for Sutton Coldfield
- Nick Gibb, MP for Bognor Regis and Littlehampton
- Julian Sturdy, MP for York Outer
- Steve Brine, MP for Winchester and Chandler’s Ford
- John Baron, MP for Basildon and Billericay
- David Simmonds, MP for Ruislip, Northwood and Pinner
- Anne Marie Morris, MP for Newton Abbot
- Bob Neill, MP for Bromley and Chislehurst
- Alicia Kearns, MP for Rutland and Melton
- Jeremy Wright, MP for Kenilworth and Southam
- Elliot Colburn, MP for Carshalton and Wallington
- Andrew Bridgen, MP for North West Leicestershire
- John Stevenson, MP for Carlisle
- Dame Andrea Leadsom, MP for South Northamptonshire
- Jesse Norman, MP for Hereford and South Herefordshire
- Simon Hoare, MP for North Dorset
A message from the editor:
Thank you for reading. BirminghamWorld is Birmingham’s latest news website, championing everything that is great about our city - reporting on news, lifestyle and sport. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook,Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going.