Terrifying moment Birmingham e-bike owner ran for his life after battery exploded

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
West Midlands Fire Service has released the terrifying footage of an e-bike blowing up after the battery exploded while it was charging in Birmingham

Terrifying footage shows the moment an e-bike owner ran for his life after its battery exploded inside his home while it was on charge.

The unnamed man was forced to flee in terror when the battery suddenly burst into flames just a few feet away from him at his property in Birmingham. In the clip, the owner can first be seen approaching the device while it charged before tentatively moving away towards the door.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

It then suddenly explodes with a huge flash before sparks and thick black smoke begins billowing into the room and soon blocks the view of the camera. West Midlands Fire Service today (Tuesday, July 18) released the shocking video to warn people about the dangers of not charging e-bikes correctly.

A fire service spokesperson said: "This is the terrifying moment an e-bike battery exploded when it was on charge. The owner of the footage has kindly let us share it, to flag the dangers. Whether it’s an e-bike or scooter, mobile phone or other device, always charge safely.

"Follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Never leave an item charging while you’re asleep or away from home. Never charge where a fire could block your escape route. Always unplug when the device is fully charged. Please share to encourage others to charge safely."

Related topics:

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.