Two more new bus services anounced for Birmingham - in addition to four new cross city services - full details
Several bus service changes, affecting several operators including National Express West Midlands, are expected in the next few weeks. From cancellations, to minor changes, to two new services are to expected - full details
and live on Freeview channel 276
Transport for West Midlands (TfWM) has announced plans for another two new bus services in Birmingham in the next few weeks following the unveiling of plans for four new cross city services along with 32 changes for other routes.
The two latest bus routes, unveiled by the public body responsible for co-ordinating transport services in our region, will be run by National Express West Midlands (NXWM) which runs most of the buses in and around Birmingham.
The latest two bus routes announced today (Friday, September 29) will connect Chelmsley Wood to Sutton Coldfield via Castle Bromwich and Minworth in Sutton Coldfield to Birmingham city centre via the Tyburn Road.
The four new cross city bus serivces, announced on Monday, (September 25) will transport passengers into the city centre from Longbridge to West Hamstead; Longbridge to Castle Vale, West Bromwich to Chelmsley Wood and Bartley Green to Chelmsley Wood.
Included in the shake up are plans to axe two Birmingham bus services - the number 25 – Bromford to Erdington Six Ways and 600 – Brookvale to Erdington Circular. Both of them were run by Solus Coaches service and from October 29, these services won't run on Birmingham roads.
The announcements came just days after TfWM said the West Midlands bus service network would be secured at near current levels and continue to operate without radical change until January 2025.
Here are the routes of the two latest new bus services:
Among the changes are two new bus services - 67A and 71A - by NXWM. The 71A will connect Chelmsley Wood to Sutton Coldfield via Kingshurst, Castle Bromwich, Castle Vale, Minworth, Peddimore, and Walmley. The 67A will connect Peddimore, Minworth to Birmingham via Tyburn Road and Aston.
A NXWM spokesperson told BirminghamWorld: "The timetable for the 67A which starts on October 8 will be live on our website nxbus.co.uk from Friday, September 29. The timetable for the 71A which starts on October 22 will be live on our website nxbus.co.uk from next Friday (October 6)."
Here are more details on the four new cross city Birmingham bus services announced previously
- Longbridge and Hamstead via A441 (Pershore Road) and B4124 - it would pass through Perry Barr, Harborne, Stirchley and Bournville among other stops.
- Longbridge and Castle Vale via the A38 (Bristol Rd & Tyburn Rd) - it would pass through the neighbourhoods of Rubery, Selly Oak, Bournville, and Edgbaston among other stops.
- West Bromwich and Chelmsley Wood via A41 Soho Road and B4128 (Bordesley Green & The Meadway) - It would pass through Bordesley Green, Heartlands Hospital, Handsworth and Soho among other stops.
- Bartley Green and Chelmsley Wood via B4124 (Harborne Road) and B4114 (Washwood Heath Road) - It would pass through Harborne, Stechford, Woodgate and Aston along with other stops.
Which bus services in Birmingham and the West Midlands are facing changes?
Here are the changes to bus services that TfWM has announced so far in upcoming months - we will bring you more details when we receive them:
- 002 – Weoley Castle to Merry Hill via Halesowen - From 22 October 2023, this service will no longer operate on Sundays.From 29 October 2023, National Express West Midlands will operate an extended X21 service to Merry Hill via Weoley Castle & Halesowen once an hour to provide an equivalent service.
- 2 - Maypole to Birmingham - From 5 November 2023, this Bus service will operate with a revised timetable.
- 2 – Tile Hill to Coventry via Torrington Avenue - From 5 November 2023, this National Express Coventry service will be operating with some changes to the route and timetable. Buses will extend beyond Tile Hill to either Westwood Business Park (in times) or Cannon Park Shopping Centre (in off-peak times).
- 5 – Wolverhampton to Codsall - From 5 November 2023, this National Express West Midlands service will no longer be operating. Banga Buses will be operating a 5/5A service to partially replace this route. The new 5/5A will not run in the evenings or Sundays.
- 19 – Walsall to Bloxwich - From 29 October 2023, this National Express West Midlands service will be operated by Chaserider.
- 20/21 – Bearwood to Oldbury - From 29 October 2023, this Bus service will operate with a revised timetable.
- 27 – Maypole to Cofton Hackett - From 5 November 2023, this National Express West Midlands service will be operating with some changes to the route and timetable. The route will be shortened to operate between Frankley, Holly Hill and Yardley Wood only. Changes will be made to the 2 (Birmingham to Maypole via Warstock) to provide an alternative service in this area. This service is also provided by National Express West Midlands.
- 45 – West Bromwich to Walsall via Yew Tree Estate - This service will continue to operate from 29 October 2023.
- 54/54A - World’s End to West Bromwich - From 5 November 2023, this National Express West Midlands service will operate with minor timetable changes.
- 54 - Perry Barr to Hamstead - From 5 November 2023, this Diamond service will operate with minor timetable changes.
- 60 – University of Warwick to Arena Retail Park via University Hospital - From 29 October 2023, this Stagecoach service will operate with some minor changes: Jaguar Land Rover will be served at peak* times only. West Midlands Bus on Demand is available to customers who wish to travel at other times of the day and on Sundays, will run from Stivichall to Arena Retail Park only, but will divert to serve Warwickshire Shopping Park.
- 61 - West Bromwich to Great Barr - From 5 November, this Diamond service will operate with minor timetable changes.
- 67A - Birmingham to Peddimore - This new service will operate from 8 October.
- 71 – Chelmsley Wood to Sutton Coldfield - From 29 October 2023, this Stagecoach service will be provided by a different operator.
- 71A - Sutton Coldfield to Chelmsley Wood - This new service will operate from 23 October.
- 74 – Walsall to Gillity Village - From 29 October 2023, this Diamond Bus service will be operated by Walsall Community Transport.
- 88 – Stourbridge to Norton - From 2 October 2023, this Kev’s Cars & Coaches service will be operated by Diamond Bus.
- 89 – West Bromwich to Birmingham via Cape Hill - From 5 November 2023, this National Express West Midlands service will be operating with some changes to the route and timetable. Buses will terminate early and no longer operate through to Birmingham City Centre.
- 96 – Kingstanding to Birmingham Airport via Erdington - From 22 October 2023, this Diamond Bus service will be operated by National Express West Midlands before 6:30pm. From this date, there will be some minor timetable changes to improve connections with the National Express West Midlands X12 service at Chelmsley Wood for onward travel to Birmingham airport.
- 169 - Kings Heath to Solihull - This Stagecoach service will operate with minor timetable changes.
- 530 – Wolverhampton to Rocket Pool via Bilston - From 29 October 2023, this Banga Buses service will no longer be operating after 5:30pm. On Sundays, this service will be operated by National Express West Midlands. The service will still be operated by Banga Buses from Monday to Saturday.
- A7/A8 – South Solihull Circulars via Knowle, Dorridge, Hockley Heath Blythe Valley & Cheswick Green - From 29 October 2023, this Landflight service will operate with some changes:
- Sunday buses will operate between Solihull and Hockley Heath via Dorridge only. Alternative Sunday services are available:
- For Blythe Valley Park: A9 - Blythe Valley Park to Kingshurst via Solihull, Olton (operated by Stagecoach)
- For Cheswick Green: A5 - Cheswick Green to Solihull via Dickens Heath (operated by Landflight)
23. A10 – Chelmsley Wood / Crane Park to Solihull - From 29 October 2023, this Landflight service will have minor timetable and route alterations. Digby Drive in Marston Drive will no longer be served due to difficulties with parked vehicles.