Diners at an Italian restaurant in The Arcadian in Birmingham’s Hurst St had to flee for their lives after a sparkler set off a fire in the premises.
Footage of the incident has been circulating online. They show screaming diners at Caffe Di Milano in the Arcadian on Saturday night (February 4) trying to run for their lives.
The fire started after sparklers in an alcoholic drink set the decor in the premises ablaze. However, the staff quickly extinguished the flames and sprinklers were also activated.
A West Midlands Fire Service spokesman said: “We were called at 11pm to Caffe Di Milano on Hurst Street. We sent two crews. The fire was out on arrival - the staff had managed to put the fire out before we got there.”
The fire was accidental, according to reports on ITV. The restaurant has had to close down until further notice.
What the restaurant has said
The Caffe Di Milano’s team said: “We would like to take this time to thank all the Milano staff, who were able to control and extinguish the fire before the services attended.”
“We hope you appreciate this is a difficult time for the business, team and everyone involved in the incident. We ask that you please bare this in mind when sharing and commenting on such a sensitive situation.”