Bashir Mohamed: 3 men convicted of fatal stabbing in dessert shop feud

A feud between rival groups following a shooting in Sparkbrook led to the death of Bashir Mohamed in April 2021

Three men have been convicted of manslaughter after a feud between rival groups sparked a series of clashes that led to a man being fatally stabbed.

Mohib Tasharat, Kasim Ifzaal and Ibrahim Raza were among a group of men who chased and killed Bashir Mohamed in the early hours of 22 April last year.

Sign up to our BirminghamWorld Today newsletter

Two of the convicted tried to flee the country following his death. The feud is believed to have started after a car rammed Bubble Rolls dessert shop in Ladypool Road days earlier.

Mr Mohamed was pursued by cars through Birmingham and then chased on foot before being stabbed in the arm. He bled to death at the scene in Ladywood.

Police identified Tasharat, aged 24, and 26-year-old Ifzaal as being among the attackers through CCTV and other enquiries.

Bashir Mohamed

Tasharat, from Wenlock Road, Handsworth, tried fleeing the UK for Pakistan the following day - but West Midlands Police detained him at Birmingham Airport before he could board a flight.

Ifzaal, from Ombersley Road, Balsall Heath, was arrested three days later in Dover as he drove towards the port where he intended catching a crossing to the Continent.

Raza, aged 32, was arrested on 10 May at his home in Oldfield Road, Sparkbrook.

Mohammed Tasharat

Why were the convicted men pursuing Bashir Mohamed?

Police explained that shortly before the 4.20am stabbing Mr Mohamed was involved in a shooting in Fulham Road, Sparkbrook - a shotgun was fired at a house and the front door set alight.

He ran off and robbed a car at gunpoint in Ladypool Road in a bid to escape a group of men who emerged from the attacked property.

They pursued the stolen Audi in a Nissan Note, at times ramming its rear bumper, before both crashed on grassland near Ashton Croft.

Before he was stabbed, Mr Mohamed was cornered in Shyltons Croft, Ladywood, by the men – plus others who arrived in more cars having been called in to help with the chase.

Ibrahim Raza

Audio from a nearby doorbell camera caught the moment one of the offenders shouted “I’ve killed him” before all the men made off.

They were charged with murder but following lengthy deliberations at Birmingham Crown Court the jury were unable to reach a verdict.

All three admitted manslaughter and Tasharat, Ifzaal and Raza were jailed for 11, 10 and six-and-a-half years respectively during sentencing on Friday (29 April).

A fourth man, Nabil Akhtar, was cleared of involvement in the killing.

Kasim Ifzaal

Were any other people involved in the fatal attack?

West Midlands Police said that they believe three other men were involved and fled the country just hours after the killing; saying: “We’re working to find them and bring them back to the UK.”

Detective Inspector Laura Harrison from the force our Homicide Unit said: “There was clearly some kind of dispute between two groups, which we believe escalated when a car deliberately rammed into a dessert shop in Ladypool Road last May.

“We believe that prompted the arson attack on the house in Fulham Road and the shocking fallout from that which saw Mr Mohamed chased and fatally stabbed.

“These men pursued the victim for several minutes in cars and were determined to cause him serious harm.”

A 27-year-old man suspected of petrol bombing the house in Fulham Road before the stabbing is due to stand trial for arson and gun possession at a later date.

A message from the editor:

Thank you for reading. BirminghamWorld is Birmingham’s latest news website, championing everything that is great about our city - reporting on news, lifestyle and sport. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook,Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going.