Five men have been jailed for life to serve a minimum of 120 years for the drive-by murder of a businessman who was shot on a quad bike as he left a barbecue.
Abdul Rahman Abubaker, 24, suffered catastrophic injuries after being blasted with a shotgun on May 15, 2018.
The dessert shop boss was riding a quad bike away from a party to mark the start of Ramadan in Highgate when he was attacked.
A court heard three stolen cars in a convoy had pulled up shortly beforehand and the fatal gunshot was fired from one of the vehicles.
Passers-by quickly transferred Mr Abu-Baker to the back of a nearby car and flagged down a passing ambulance.
He was taken to hospital but died shortly upon arrival, having suffered nine wounds to the stomach area.
Within 72 hours two of the cars had been set alight and destroyed to try and destroy evidence, while the third has disappeared without trace.
Fahmi Daahir, 24, Mustafa Omar, 21, Abdirahman Dirie, 21, Shire Elmi, 24, and Abdirahman Yusuf, 23, were arrested in August last year.
All denied murder but were convicted following a trial at Birmingham Crown Court in October - even though it is believed none of them fired the fatal shot.
What sentences did the guilty men get?
Today (Fri) Daahir, of Nechells, Birmingham, who was also convicted of arson, was jailed for life with a minimum term of 27 years.
Yusuf, of Aston, Birmingham, who also pleaded guilty to arson and perverting the course of justice, received a minimum term of 25 years.
Elmi, of Glasgow, was handed a minimum of 25 years while Omar, 21, of no fixed address, was handed a minimum sentence of 22 years behind bars.
Dirie, 21, of no fixed address, who was aged 17 at the time, was sentenced to a minimum of 21 years.
What have the CPS said about the case?
Giovanni DAlessandro, of the CPS, said: “While we may never know which of these men fired the fatal shot, the evidence indicates that all five men were willing participants in the pre-planned attack on Mr Abu-Baker which led to his death.
"The defendants attempted to cover up their crimes by burning two of the cars they had used to facilitate the attack.
"Despite the substantial evidence linking them to the crime, they denied the charges, forcing Mr Abu-Baker’s family to relive the tragedy of their loss through a trial.
"Today, all five men have been sentenced for their part in the needless and tragic loss of a young life.
"I hope that the sentencing today sends an important message that these crimes will be meticulously investigated and vigorously prosecuted.
"The use of firearms on our streets is a menace to all and offending of this nature will not be tolerated.
"My thoughts remain with the family and friends of Mr Abu-Baker at what must continue to be a very difficult time for them."
What led police to the killers?
Police reviewed footage from more than 100 CCTV cameras and established four cars - of which three were stolen – initially met in Alum Rock, Birmingham.
One car was abandoned but another, a VW Passat, was sent out on several trips to scour the area near the barbecue.
A stolen Ford Kuga – part of the convoy from which the fatal shot was fired - was taken back to Hams Road and set alight within six minutes of the shooting.
A message from the editor:
Thank you for reading. BirminghamWorld is Birmingham’s latest news website, championing everything that is great about our city - reporting on news, lifestyle and sport. Find out more about who’s who in the team, and our editorial values. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook,Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going.