Video report: Garden heater explosion causes severe burns to girl, 4

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
Tay Boddington is undergoing surgery at Birmingham Children’s Hospital after she was burned by a garden heater during a family BBQ at home

Four-year-old Tay Boddington was severely burned when a bioethanol garden heater exploded during a family barbecue in May 12.

The heater burst into flames as it was ignited, engulfing Tay in fire. Her parents, Charlotte Woodman and Alan Boddington, acted quickly to extinguish the flames and cool her burns with running water.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Tay was initially treated at Northampton General Hospital before being transferred to Birmingham Children's Hospital. She has undergone multiple surgeries and faces more due to nerve damage.

Family friend Carly Chaplin has launched a GoFundMe campaign to support the family, raising over £6,500 so far. The funds will help purchase fire safety equipment for their community and support the Burns Centre at Birmingham. The family plans to raise awareness about fire safety once Tay recovers.

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.